Breaking

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Back in the 'Real' World!

Travelling Box
Hello fellow crafters and blog followers. Wow! More than three months since my last post. Many of you will know that the OWO and I have been on a wonderful adventure with "Ada" our A-van. We have been exploring the far north region of our wonderful home State, Queensland, since the end of February. (You can follow our adventure on our travel blog - The Rambling Retirees ).
Travelling?
We are still not home as we are currently housesitting in Peregian Springs on the Sunshine Coast until 8th July. I have to admit it took about ten days for me to settle back into the 'real' world in a 'real' house after roaming the countryside in 'Ada'. But I am finally settled and appreciating the comforts and space of the beautiful home we are looking after. Sooooooo ........ What has been accomplished with my stitching projects whilst travelling? You will recall from a previous post that I packed a small box with hand stitching projects including one or two from the Dreaded Drawer 3 list of UFOs (actually I prefer to call them PiPs). When I sat down and looked at the projects I had managed to complete, I rather surprised myself (and the OWO!,).  The wall hanging, 'Miracles by Appointment ' -- that was a fun project -- was completed,
"Miracles"
and I completed all the embroidered pieces for  the other 'wall-hanging', "Written in Thread" -- not sure what I am going to do with the latter as the individual pieces are not the same size as the original pattern! -- but it was an accomplishment anyway.
"Written in Thread" embroidered pieces
Both of those from DD3 project list. There has also been progress on the 'Love Letters' quilt from Drawer 6, with another block completed.  I also kept busy working on some of the cross-stitch PiPs that I packed in that purple box. Although not completed there has been progress! I'll include photos of these in another post next month when we get home. Now some of you with sharp eyes may have noticed that the 'Miracles' wallhanging has been FULLY completed, with fabric sashings, backing, binding, and machine quilting. How you may ask, did I achieve that when we left home without my trusty Brother (machine that is)? Well, here's the story. At the end of April, around ANZAC day, we travelled from Cloncurry to Townsville for our annual stopover at the Pera Court Hilton, before travelling onto Nairana for our Caretaking commitment. I look forward to this annual sojourn as I get 'girl time ' with my beautiful "sewing sister", Miss Carmel. We have a wonderful time - card making, stitching, shopping, chatting, and going to lunch-- leaving the 'boys' to their own devices.
"Stitching Sister", Miss Carmel
Girls Day Out
On day three of our visit Miss Carmel was kind enough to loan me her light weight Janome to work on a table topper using fabric that we had chosen together the day before. Over dinner that evening the conversation somehow revolved around our shared interests and how much time we spend stitching and crafting, and I made comment that a light weight machine would be a bonus to travel with. Next thing the OWO says, "Well, go buy one tomorrow before we leave for Nairana." Of course, I didn't believe he meant it, but the next morning he insisted Miss Carmel drive me to Lincraft to buy a machine! And so, I now own a lovely Toyota Quilter - light weight to travel with anytime with all the quilting attachments -- and a bargain to boot, as it was 50% off in the Lincraft sales! Isn't the OWO wonderful As there is no radio, television, or internet at Nairana I usually spent my evenings, and 'rest' days, hand stitching, reading and writing. Bonus this year -- I had a new 'toy' to play with and At the end of the first week I had made some small items using some of the fat 1/4s purchased in Townsville.
A new scrappy block
Mug huggers and mug rug - no iron!
I was very happy with my machine, but I now had two problems. 1. No iron -- ever made blocks for a table runner or placemats omitting the pressing stage? Trust  me, finger pressing just doesn't cut the mustard! 2. There was now a fabric shortage -- never occurred to me that I would need more fabric for the month at Nairana. Nearest fabric shop? -- Clermont - 168 kms away! Miss Carmel and the lovely Paddington Bear to the rescue! They had decided to make a short visit to Nairana and would not only bring us top up grocery supplies but if I sent a list with a working budget, Miss Carmel would bring me fabric and an iron to boot. Not only did she bring the required items but there was a bonus box of fabrics handed over from her own stash -- many pieces of which you can see in the finished items below.
An Australiana runner - maybe a Xmas gift?
Reverse Australiana runner
Red, white & black table runner
Reverse using scraps for RW&B
We had a fantastic three days together, stitching and chatting whilst the 'boys' went about Park duties during the day and I have to say it was a bit of a "downer" when they left. I am very happy with my table runners that will be added to my Christmas gift box of goodies. Before I close off my post I would like to show you a couple of photos of the little vest I made for our youngest grandson who turned one at the beginning of March. I used two different fabrics and the vest is completely reversible.
London front view
London view back
Back view 1
Front view 1
Next post I will have something different to show you. Until then --
Hugs - and - Happy stitching!

No comments:

Post a Comment